You’re in foster care and about to age out. Great! Then one thing is for certain. Regardless of the path that got you here, it is about to change, and Forward Steps can assist you. Actually, we can empower you, to become the young adult you want to be. Each of you has a different dream, a different potential. Forward Steps supports you in your transition to increased self-sufficiency and independence by providing:
- an apartment
- financial assistance
- counseling, and
- the support and stability needed for you to pursue your education
- Q: How much does your program cost?
Not one penny. We do not charge for participation in our program. Over the time you are with us, you’ll become responsible for an increasing portion of the bills, so once you are on your own paying them will be routine.
- Q: What does the Forward Steps program provide to emancipated foster youth?
We provide a stable source of support and coaching to help you in your transition from foster care to independence. Key program elements include:
- Housing in a one-bedroom apartment
- Assistance obtaining/maintaining employment
- Living stipend and assistance in applying for financial aid for college
- Life skills training like money management, household management, community navigation
- Personal wellness
- Cultural experiences
- Q: I need to be able to work while I go to school, any suggestions for balancing both?
This is a challenge of every college student out there! To balance both, you’ll need good time management skills. But the good news is those skills, once honed, will help you the rest of your life! The important thing is to get started. Get a calendar, it can be on your phone, in paper form, it can be a whiteboard on your fridge, just experiment until you know what works for you. If you’re familiar with Google, they have a calendar that you can access online or on your smartphone. One last tip, don’t forget to take time for yourself when you are able – you can’t do well in class or work if you are burned or stressed out.
Sound good? Apply to Forward Steps.